|Photo courtesy the City of Spokane blog.|
There’s been a lot of talk about the Main Avenue project downtown lately, mostly because of a new concept in parking that is part of the project.
According to the City of Spokane blog, west Main Avenue between Washington and Pine Streets is getting as makeover that includes:
- Planted entry feature (I don’t know what that means either)
- Multi-purpose space in the center of the street that can be used for different purposes during different times.
- Mid-block crossing with curb extensions and planting
- Mid-block planters and benches
- Pay-by-Plate parking system with four kiosks
On weekdays, the multi-purpose area in the middle of the street will be used for diagonal car parking. During special events, it can serve as a gathering area for people.
For more information, check out the Project Overview or the Main Avenue Streetscape Pilot Project page. Work could potentially start during the 2016 construction season.