Title VI, Environmental Justice & ADA
Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act states that no person in the United States shall, on the grounds of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance. SRTC is required to have a Title VI Plan on file.
For more information, read:
- Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act
- SRTC Title VI Plan Approved March 2014* (current Title VI Plan until the draft version is accepted)
If you feel you have been discriminated against by SRTC because of your race, color, national origin, income or disability, please click here for the Title VI Complaint Form* which can be filled out online then downloaded and mailed or emailed to SRTC’s Title VI Coordinator at 421 W. Riverside Ave., Suite 500, Spokane, WA 99201 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The form can also be printed and filled out by hand.
Environmental Justice is the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, or income with respect to the development, implementation, and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations, and policies. Environmental Justice will be achieved when everyone enjoys the same degree of protection from environmental and health hazards and equal access to the decision-making process to have a healthy environment in which to live, learn, and work.
There are three fundamental Environmental Justice principles:
- To avoid, minimize, or mitigate disproportionately high and adverse human health or environmental effects, including social and economic effects, on minority populations and low-income populations.
- To ensure the full and fair participation by all potentially affected communities in the transportation decision-making process.
- To prevent the denial of, reduction in, or significant delay in the receipt of benefits by minority populations and low-income populations.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (ADA)
The Spokane Regional Transportation Council (SRTC) will ensure that no qualified disabled individual shall, solely on the basis of his or her disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any of its programs, services, or activities as provided by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). SRTC further ensures that every effort will be made to provide nondiscrimination in all of its programs and activities regardless of the funding source.
For more on ADA and transportation-related issues:
* For a Word version of this document, please email email@example.com or call (509) 343-6370.