As the federally-designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County, SRTC is responsible for distributing federal funds that are specifically allocated to the Spokane region. These funds come from the following three programs; Surface Transportation Program (STP), Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) program, and the STBG Set Aside (formerly Transportation Alternative Program (TAP)).

Surface Transportation Block Grant (STBG)
The STP program is the most flexible source of federal transportation funding. STP funds can be used for roadway construction, reconstruction or preservation; transit projects; bicycle and pedestrian facilities or programs; bridges; and planning. For a full list of eligible activities, please see the Federal Highway Administration’s Surface Transportation Block Grant Program Implementation Guidance page.

SRTC annual allocation of STBG funds is approximately $6.8 million.

Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) Program
The CMAQ program funds transportation projects and programs that improve air quality by increasing the efficiency of existing transportation facilities or reducing travel demand. CMAQ-funded projects and programs must demonstrate a reduction of either carbon monoxide (CO) or particulate matter (PM-10) within the Spokane CO and PM-10 boundaries. Eligible activities for CMAQ funding include projects that improve traffic flow (such as improved signalization or turn lanes), those that shift traffic demand to off-peak times or other transportation modes, transit improvements, or bicycle or pedestrian improvements.. For a full list of eligible activities, please refer to FHWA’s CMAQ Interim Guidance.

SRTC’s annual allocation of CMAQ funds is approximately $3.4 million.

STBG Set Aside (Formerly TAP)
The STP Setaside program funds on-and-off road facilities for bicyclists and pedestrians and other enhancements to surface transportation. Eligible projects include sidewalks, bicycle facilities, traffic calming projects, projects that bring a facility into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), conversion of rail corridors for non-motorized users, scenic overlooks and viewpoints, historic preservation, environmental mitigations, Safe Routes to School projects and recreational trails.

SRTC’s annual allocation of TAP funds is $560,000.

SRTC also assists Spokane Transit Authority (STA) with the prioritization and distribution of federal transit funds allocated to the Spokane region. STA is the designated recipient of transit funds in the Spokane urbanized area. The STA Board of Directors selects the projects to fund with transit funding. SRTC assists in the process by facilitating a call for projects to distribute funds to and ultimately incorporating the program of projects into SRTC’s Transportation Improvement Program (TIP).

Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities (Section 5310)
The purpose of Section 5310 is to provide funds for programs that serve the needs of transit-dependent populations beyond traditional public transportation services and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) paratransit services. At least 55% of the funds must be used on capital projects to meet the needs of seniors and individuals with disabilities when public transit is insufficient, inappropriate or unavailable. The remaining 45% may be used for public transportation projects that exceed ADA requirements, improve access to fixed-route transit and reduce reliance on complementary paratransit, or alternatives to public transportation that assist seniors and individuals with disabilities.

The annual Section 5310 allocation for the Spokane urbanized area is approximately $370,000.

Urbanized Area Formula Grants (Section 5307)
This program provides grants to urbanized areas for transit capital, planning and job access and reverse commute projects.

The annual allocation for the Spokane urbanized area is approximately $8 million.

Bus and Bus Facilities (Section 5339)
This program provides capital funding to replace, rehabilitate and purchase buses and related equipment and to construct bus-related facilities.

The annual allocation for the Spokane urbanized area is approximately $830,000.

Translate »