One of our GIS analysts opened an umbrella in my office the other day. I jokingly reminded him that he just brought bad luck on himself. He told me that’s an old wive’s tale and that he was going to bring a ladder into my office to walk under. It turns out that there are many, many old wive’s tales, also known as myths, in the transportation world. Citylab put together a post on 10 Tired Traffic Myths that you can read here.
- More roads mean less traffic
- More transit means less traffic
- Bike lanes make traffic worse
- A wider road is a safer road
- The next lane over is moving faster
- There’s no downside to cheap gas
- Drivers pay the full cost of road maintenance
- And more!