This is looking like a busy week in Coeur d’Alene in the way of transportation. This weekend is Ironman, which means Wednesday, around 1:30 p.m., crews will begin to set up barricades and a detour route for the closure of Sherman Avenue between 2nd Avenue and Independence Point.
1. Southbound traffic wanting to get into the downtown area will be detoured to Lakeside Avenue to 2nd, 3rd or 5th streets, etc., to reach Sherman Avenue.
2. Resort traffic should use 1st Street.
3. Westbound traffic will be detoured southbound onto 2nd Street and Front Avenue. These vehicles will loop around onto 4th Street and exit the downtown on Lakeside or north on 4th Street. 2nd Street at Sherman will be closed to northbound traffic. This area has been very congested in the past and being an ITD bypass route, we have always chosen to close traffic northbound and to leave it open to just southbound traffic.
4. Bleachers will be staged on Sherman at 5:00 p.m. on the 22nd and will stay in place until the afternoon of June 27th.
5. The Independence Point parking lot will be closed early Wednesday as they set up medical tents and Ironman stores.
6. At the time of the closure, the signals at 2nd and Sherman will be put in the red flash mode and the signal at Lakeside and Independence Point will be shut off to keep traffic flowing.
Mullan Avenue, from 17th to 23rd streets, will be “NO PARKING” on the north side on Saturday, June 25th, and entirely closed to traffic on race day, Sunday, June 26th.